Thursday, October 29, 2009

Spooky Stuff

WooHoo, I'm making it two weeks in a row for MamaKat's writers workshop!

Here are this week's prompts:
1.) Show your spooky side.

2.) Show and Tell using your favorite Halloween home decor.

3.) Write a poem to your child as their Halloween character (for example I may write a poem to "Pongo"...the 101 Dalmatian Laina is going to be for Halloween)

4.) Post a vlog of yourself playing a Halloween prank on a family member or
friend.

5.) Describe a favorite Halloween costume or moment you wish you had on video.


I'm thinking this will be a combo of #1 and #5 ;) but it's pretty much just #5.

Who doesn't love Halloween as a child? It has always been one of my favorite holidays. Every year as soon as school started I would start thinking about what I was going to be for Halloween. No matter what it was that I finally decided on, my mother was there to whip it up for me. I don't think we ever bought Halloween costumes. My mother was so creative and talented when it came to Halloween costumes! For several years in a row I was some kind of martian. One year my mom covered a box in tin foil and made me a tin foil hat with antennae and painted my face green. The next year she sewed a couple of extra arms on a shirt and I was a 4-armed alien with a third eye painted in the middle of my forehead.
But my favorite costume idea of my moms, the one that had everyone laughing at/with us, and the one I wish someone had videotaped would be the one where we all dressed up in black garbage bags and wore goofy orange wigs ;) It was simple, but effective. Can you imagine seeing five children and their parents all dressed up like this? I don't know where my mom got the idea. Maybe it was a year where she had no ideas and at the last minute threw it together? Not her most creative, but it was hilarious! My brothers were in boy scouts/cub scouts and they had a Halloween party for the scout families... we all sat together and would do this crazy laughing in unison. My step-father and youngest brother had these wonderful hearty contagious laughs. Every time we would do the laughing bit, everyone would laugh. We ended up winning the costume contest :) I wish I at least had a picture of it.

10 comments:

Panamamama said...

What a great picture! I don't have hardly any from my childhood and wish I did!

natalie said...

That's a great picture! And I think some of the most memorable costumes are the ones just thrown together using stuff around the house, instead of store-bought :)

Becky said...

Your mom sounds awesome! What great memories, and I'm so glad to see a picture:)

Jen said...

such a great memory and a great picture.

The (Un)Experienced Mom said...

I remember thinking that my mom was just so creative when I was a kid. She always knew just how to make the right costume work or put something together quickly. I definitely don't feel like I got that gene though! ;-)

Tamara
http://theunexperiencedmom.blogspot.com

Mayhem and Moxie said...

Your mom was one creative lady. Loved all that she was able to create for your family. Super fun!

Anonymous said...

Seems like everyone used to have homemade costumes. Why are they all store bought now?

Helene said...

Your mom sounds like she was a very creative woman back in the day!!

My mom never made us costumes!!

Krimmyk said...

Love the pic. I have an award for you: http://krimmyk.blogspot.com/2009/11/next-up-nobel-prize-baby.html

anymommy said...

That is a fabulous family memory.

Related Posts with Thumbnails